How do I use kratom? What will it do to me? Is it legal? All of these are valid questions. If you have found this page, then you must be new to kratom and have lots of questions. Completely understandable! When I first began taking kratom a few years back I looked high and low for answers, rarely finding any two websites that said the same thing. There is so much conflicting information out there and finding good information seems very hard to do. This article will clue you in on the various ways of taking kratom to achieve the best results.
What is Kratom?
Kratom is the name given to a finely ground powder made from the leaves and stems of mitragyna speciosa. Mitragyna speciosa is a tropical evergreen that grows mainly in Southeast Asia, such as Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. It is a member of the rubiacea species of lush evergreens and it is similar to the coffee plant. Therefore, its effects mimick that of coffee, just better. Kratom has been used by the locals in Souteast Asia for centuries for many different purposes and lately the rest of the world has caught on to its many uses and benefits.
What Does It Do?
Kratom effects everyone differently, so that is an important key to remember. Each strain has a unique set of alkaloids and is beneficial for many different illnesses and conditions. It is always best when starting out to test several different strains from numerous vendors to single out which strain works best for what. I included a link to a couple of trusted vendors who always offer the highest quality kratom to help you choose the best. Click here for my favorite online vendor. With that being said, lets dive into what the buzz is all about. The alkaloids in kratom are known to mimmick certain effects of opioid drugs because it binds to mu and delta opioid receptors in the brain. This creates effects similar to some opioid prescription drugs, like hydrocodone or vicodin. Under Effects, you will find a helpful article detailing the various short-term and long-term effects of use. This should help clarify any questions concerning what it will do to you.
What is Kratom Used For?
Many of the natives of Southeast Asia work in the fields, which is extremely hard physical labor and they need something to promote natural energy while relieving pain and other issues. Kratom is their source for such energy and analgesic needs. They use kratom like most people drink coffee or sodas. Here lately the rest of us got the news and have been choosing kratom powder over anything else. Kratom is a potent analgesic and a natural anxiolytic (meaning it kills anxiety). It also relieves diarrhea, lowers blood sugar and high blood pressure, regulates hormones, and promotes a general state of well-being among all users. Recently many people have realized just how beneficial kratom is for ending the horrific withdrawal symptoms of opiate addiction.
How Do I Use Kratom?
Now lets get down to the nitty-gritty. How does someone use kratom? There are several ways to get the most out of your dose. Each method produces about the same effects so it is truly a matter of personal preference. Personally, I still prefer the “toss and swish” method, which seems to be the fastest onset without much hassle. Instant gratification, from the mindset of an ex-addict.
- Toss & Swish/Wash: This method is just as it sounds. Measure out your dose into a spoon (approximately 2 to 3 grams is usually sufficient for a beginner). If you can access a small scale, that will be your best friend. Have a non-carbonated drink nearby. I say non-carbonated because any sort of soda or carbonated beverage will cause the kratom to become foamy in your mouth and that causes all sorts of problems trying to hold it down! Once you put the kratom in your mouth it is crucial to hold your breath while you down your chaser. Otherwise, the fine powder will immediately enter your airways, trust me, that feels awful! A few good gulps will get it all down, just make sure after the first swallow to “SWISH” your drink around your mouth. This will ensure all kratom has been removed from your teeth and gums. Nothing worse than talking to someone while having tale-tale remainders of your dose proudly displayed in your grill!
- Capsules: Most of the time kratom powder can be purchased in pre-made capsules. Rarely have I seen a vendor not offer capsules, or at least have empty capsules readily available for you to stuff yourselves. Each capsule will hold about .5 grams. So if you purchase a bottle of capsules from somewhere, always remember the dosing of each is about a half gram.
- Tea or Coffee: Many people choose this method over any other. The following recipe will make aproximately two doses and you can always adjust depending on your desires. Flavoring is crucial! Kratom itself has a very bitter taste to it, and adding boiling water to it seems to enhance that undesirable taste. Lemon and honey are great ways of making the taste disappear and it creates a mellow atmosphere. Begin by measuring out 15 grams of dried leaves or powder into a pot. Add in 1/2 liter of water and bring to a simmering boil. Boiling at higher heats will only enhance the natural bitterness of the kratom. Next, pour the mixture through a strainer and set the remaining aside. The powder will dissolve, so this is only necessary if using leaves. Place the leaves back into the pot and add another liter of water, repeat. This will make sure all the alkaloids and other beneficial components have been removed. Kratom tea can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days, but at this amount it is rare that you will need to store it. When making coffee, just add powder to your cup and let it dissolve. This is the same if you want hot cocoa or hot milk. I have added kratom to my coffee pot before, placing powder in with the grounds and letting it brew. It worked just fine, but it tasted awful, not even kidding!
- Chewing: This traditional method is the one used by the natives. When they are working long hours in the fields, they will chew on the dried leaves, like a gum. The taste is very bitter, but it is very functional in a tight spot. Take several full-sized leaves and chew on them. Simple! This method conserves and is said to enhance effects, but is it really doable?
- Smoking or Vaping: Considering how kratom is a leafy herb, it stands to reason smoking it would be considered. Many tribes have been reported smoking and vaporizing the dried leaves, but it is truly not the best method. Burning kratom lessens the effects and it seems genuinely as a waste of time and kratom, and should be avoided.
- Adding to Smoothies or Food: Basically, the powder form gives you liberty to add it to just about any liquid or food for easier ingestion. You can add the measured dose to any frozen drink in the blender, or simply add it into yogurt or other smooth foods, like pudding. Just remember the taste will be very bitter so be prepared!
- Add to Juice: This method is very simple, and probably the easiest of all. Measure your desired dose and add it into a plastic bottle of fruit juice or any non-carbonated beverage. Orange and grapefruit juices seem to enhance the potency and do not taste too bad. The less amount of liquid the better, so that way it can be taken like a shot. A water bottle or any plastic bottle with a lid will work. Shake well! This will cause the kratom mixture to become very foamy. Allow it to sit for about 2 minutes then repeat until it is fully mixed and no longer foamy. Guzzle it fast!
- Eating/Parachuting: There is a way of not only adding it to food, but ingesting it. It is called “parachuting” and requires you to place your dose into a tiny square of toilet paper. Fold it very well, so it stays in tact. Place the parachute on the back of your tongue and swallow with plenty of liquid. The toilet paper will dissolve in your stomach. This method is very good because it fast, simple, and no bitter after taste.
Tips For Use:
- Do not mix with alcohol…ever! What I mean is do not physically mix the powder into your beer or margarita, and I also mean do not drink while taking kratom. Mixing the two causes nausea and vomiting, plus it is always safest to only do one thing at a time, or just until you have mastered it. Safety is always key. Until you are comfortable with dosing and how each individual strains affect you, only take the kratom by itself.
- Less is More. This means smaller doses, around 3 grams or less, will create a more energizing and happy feeling. Larger doses, over 5 grams, will cause sedation and a more calming effect. Always start out with the lowest dosage possible and eventually through trial and error you will find your sweet spot.
- Dosing schedules will vary from person to person, and should be determined only through personal experimentations. What is good for one person may cause another harm, so be careful when reading online schedules. You will know when your dose is wearing off. Personally, I dose about every 3 hours depending on the kratom and strain. Stronger kratom lasts far longer and requires less of it. Once you find the perfect dose, all the confusion will go away and things will fall into place.
- Drink TONS of Fluids! This piece of advice is probably the most important to keep you safe and healthy while also benefiting from kratom. Mitragyna speciosa is a powerful diuretic. This means it will dehydrate you and make you urinate often. This is mainly due to it being a stimulant, just like coffee. Drinking about 2 liters of water or juice per dose will ensure you stay hydrated. There have been cases of kidney stones and urinary tract infections by long term users. It is best to avoid this pain and suffering by simply drinking plenty of fluids!
- Do not over dose! Taking too much kratom will cause nausea and vomiting, and major headaches. This is the first sign of taking too much. If your dose causes either of these, then stop taking it until you are better and cut that dose in half next time. If you feel you have taken too much, call 911 immediately!